Sony UWP-D12 Integrated Digital Wireless Handheld Microphone ENG System (Block 25: 536 to 608 MHz)
The 536 to 608 MHz version of the Sony UWP-D12 Integrated Digital Wireless Handheld Microphone ENG System features all-metal construction, easy to read LCD displays, wide switching RF bandwidth, USB power and charging, automatic channel scanning, infrared synchronization between the transmitter and receiver, true diversity receiver, headphone output on the receiver, output gain control on the receiver for optimizing input level to a camera, and digital companding circuitry to improve the transient response of received audio. The package is suitable for a wide range of wireless applications such as ENG, talk shows, lectures, and more.
The system is referred to as integrated digital because the transmitter and receiver utilize DSP for digital companding and expanding of the transmission signal. Performing the companding and expanding processes in the digital domain improves the accuracy and transient response of the received audio.
The camera-mountable receiver features true-diversity technology, which stabilizes reception and minimizes RF interference by using dual antenna input/reception circuits and selecting the strongest incoming signal. The angle of the antennas is also adjustable to improve reception when the receiver is mounted on top of a camera or camcorder. The system utilizes UHF Phase Locked Loop (PLL) synthesis to lock the phase of the transmission frequency between transmitter and receiver. The receiver can automatically search for an available transmission frequency and link the desired frequency to the transmitter via infrared connection.
A stereo mini-jack output with monitor volume control is featured, and both stereo mini and stereo XLR cables are provided. The unit also includes a headphone monitor output for use with cameras and camcorders that don’t have a monitor output. An LCD display provides channel and frequency information, battery life, RF-input level, audio-output status and accumulated operating time.
For power, the receiver operates on two AA batteries for up to 6 hours, or on 5 VDC of USB power over a USB micro B cable. The USB connection can also be used to recharge Ni-MH rechargeable batteries within the battery cartridge. The receiver’s compact design and included shoe-mount adapter allows easy mounting to most camcorders and interchangeable lens system cameras.
The handheld microphone transmitter features a unidirectional capsule, a built-in windscreen, and a robust metal construction.
The capsule is removable and can be interchanged with over 40 compatible microphone capsules from various manufacturers, such as the industry standard Shure SM58. The transmitter can operate for up to 8 hours on two AA-size alkaline batteries, can be powered or recharged via USB micro-B connections, and features a comprehensive LCD display.
The system comes with a screw adapter, a belt-clip, a shoe-mount adapter, a 3.5mm mini to mini stereo cable, and a 3.5mm mini to XLR cable. Optional accessories such as a microphone holder, battery case, and soft case for the receiver are sold separately.
- Interchangeable Microphone Capsules
- Enables use of Sony’s DWX Series microphone capsules such as the F31, F32, or CU-C31 as well as over 40 capsules from other manufacturers such as the industry standard Shure SM58
- Digital Companding
- Utilizes analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog converter stages so that the transmission signal can be digitally companded by the transmitter and digitally expanded by the receiver for improved audio transient response
- Automatic Channel Scanning
- Scans for available transmission channels and then syncs the transmitter to the receiver via infrared
- Frequency Coverage
- Provides up to 72 MHz of transmission bandwidth
- UWP Series / WL-800 Series Compatibility
- Enables cross-compatibility between the UWP-D transmitter with a UWP Series or WL-800 Series receiver or UWP Series or WL-800 Series transmitter with a UWP-D receiver
- Headphone Output
- Enables direct monitoring of receiver via headphones, especially useful for cameras that lack a monitor output
- USB Power Options
- Supports USB powering and USB charging of internal Ni-MH rechargeable batteries placed in the battery cartridge
- Output Level Control
- Controls the receiver’s output level with ±12 dB adjustments for optimizing the input level into the camera
- UHF Phase Locked Loop (PLL) Synthesized Frequencies
- Provides stable transmission and reception by generating a transmission frequency and locking the phase of the transmission signal to the incoming signal of the receiver
- True Diversity Reception
- Utilizes dual antenna reception circuits and selects the stronger incoming signal to reduce drop-outs
- Tone Squelch Circuitry
- Transmits a pilot-tone signal with the audio signal and only outputs the audio signal if the pilot tone is present to reduce RF interference from other sources
- Simultaneous Multi-Channel Operation
- Stores the most stable interference-free transmission frequencies to internal memory for rapid setup and switching between frequency groups
- Selectable RF Output
- The transmitter allows selection between 5mW output power and 30mW output. 5mW is suitable for indoor, simultaneous multi-channel operation while 30mW is intended for outdoor, long-range use
- Visual Display
- The receiver features a comprehensive LED display providing channel and frequency information, battery life, total usage time and more
- Improved All-Metal Construction
- The transmitter and receiver feature metal construction for durability